JavaScript must be enabled to display this page properly.

O. Henry logo and Austin History Center navigation
link to O. Henry home page link to O. Henry biography link to O. Henry Austin Chronology link to O. Henry Texas Stories link to O. Henry resources link to O. Henry Punoff link to O. Henry Map
banner with composite of O.Henry artifacts link to page with larger William Sydney Porter as a child image link to page with larger Driskill Hotel image link to page with larger Saturday Evening Post, July 6, 1907 image

O. Henry

link to page with larger image of O. Henry home

The Austin History Center, part of the Austin Public Library, is the home of a significant collection of materials relating to the popular writer O. Henry, who lived in Austin, still using his given name of William Sydney Porter, from 1885 to 1894. The O. Henry Resources of the Austin History Center are comprised primarily of materials donated by Judge Trueman E. O'Quinn and augmented by items acquired from Jenny Lind Porter, Ethel Hofer, the Maddox family, the Austin Heritage Society, and the Austin History Center Association. These resources include original typescripts, first edition books, periodicals, correspondence, manuscripts, autograph albums, photographs, sketches, maps, paintings, and furniture.

In 2010 the AHC partnered with the Texas General Land Office and the State Preservation Board to create an online collection of O. Henry materials at the Portal to Texas History. Over 200 items were digitized, including 190 AHC items, and are available online. The collection includes photographs, original manuscript material, first printings of many of his short stories, and full text scans of some of his collected works.

Access and Search the O. Henry Online Collection

link to page with larger image of Group photo in General Land Office, with Porter in back row

Though a significant portion of the collection is available online, The AHC's O. Henry holdings include much more. The AHC has various inventories and descriptions of the O. Henry collection available to help researchers understand the holdings:

Researchers will be delighted to find two autograph albums that contain whimsical sketches and poems, one of which was written to Porter's future wife, Athol Estes. The collection includes letters written by Will Porter to associates, many involving requests for financial loans or advances. It also includes the only known recording of O. Henry's voice.

Nearly 400 periodicals, ranging in date from 1897 through 1983, and featuring illustrated stories by O. Henry, are part of the collection. There are extensive holdings of Ainslee's, Everybody's Magazine, McClure's, The Golden Book Magazine, Bunker's Texas Monthly, and The Munsey. In addition, the History Center houses 360 books containing stories by O. Henry, some being first editions, and many bound in distinguished sets.

The more than sixty O. Henry reference works at the History Center include a transcript of Will Porter's embezzlement trial and a complete O. Henry bibliography. In addition, researchers will find a robust clippings file containing articles about O. Henry, his family, and associated people and events. Photographs in the History Center's collection depict O. Henry and his environment during his life in Austin.

Find out how to donate local history materials to the Austin History Center.

link to Austin History Center Photograph Collection link to Austin History Center Reference Services link to Austin History Center Exhibits link to Austin History Center Collections link to Austin History Center About Us link to Austin History Center home page